If you remain in Germany for more than 90 days, or before your visa expires if it is valid for longer than this, you need to apply for another residence permit. You need to go to the foreigners authority to apply for the residence permit. It may take some time be- fore you receive it, so it is advisable to visit the foreigners authority soon after you arrive in Germany. Here again, your institute contact can give you details of the relevant authority or go with you.

See more:

To apply for a residence permit, you need the originals and copies of the following documents:

  •  passport

  •  2 biometric passport photos

  •  Residents’ Registration Office registration card (see step 1)

  •  verification of employment (contract of employment or confirmation

    of fellowship will usually suffice or – if these are not yet available – if necessary a letter of invitation from the institute showing the amount of monthly payments, gross and net

  •  (rental) contract (stating the floor space in square metres) or proof of your accommodation in a hall of residence or guest house

  •  proof of health insurance for the whole of your stay (or better still, beyond). International travel health insurance is not sufficient

In some towns, your institute contact can take care of the application procedure for you. If this is the case, you must hand over your passport to the institute for a short time, but you will be given a copy in the mean- time together with a receipt to prove that your passport is currently with the authorities. The passport will of course be returned to you immediately after the matter has been dealt with. The residence permit will involve costs of at present between 40 and 100 euros.

See more: