You can drive for six months in Germany on a driving licence issued in your own country. However, after that, driving licences which have not been issued in an EU country must be changed to a German driving licence. Please apply to the competent authority in good time as this process can take a while and involves tax and insurance issues.triangle in the car.

The southern federal states in particular are prone to heavy snow in win- ter. Road treatment services are very quickly mobilised, but your car must be fitted with winter tyres or all-year/all-season tyres if you are travelling in winter conditions on roads with snow or icy surfaces, black ice or slush. This applies whatever the date. Those driving with summer tyres in winter weather must expect to be fined. In neighbouring Austria, too, it is compulsory to fit winter tyres where weather conditions require this, including in the Italian South Tyrol. If you are planning to go skiing in other countries, find out in advance whether winter equipment is a re- quirement there and whether you need to use snow chains.

See more:

If you are involved in an accident or have a breakdown, a small black arrow on the white posts next to the road indicates where to find the next emer- gency telephone. Mention the counter markers you will find at the side of the motorway when you report an emergency so that the assistance serv- ice knows where you are. In the event of an accident, you should call the police (telephone 110) to be on the safe side. You may not leave the scene of an accident without leaving your contact details with other people in- volved in the accident. If you do, you will be guilty of a hit-and-run offence.

Places where there are speed restrictions may have radar speed checks installed. Driving too fast incurs hefty fines.

You should use a car wash for washing your car – you will find one at filling stations or on an industrial estate.

Badge for Green Zones: Every vehicle entering an environmental zone - no matter whether registered in Germany or another country - needs to display an environmental badge. These badges have unrestrict- ed validity for the individual vehicle and all German environmental zones.

To be eligible for an environmental badge, your vehicle must be reg- istered in your country and fulfil certain conditions as per validation of the key number in the vehicle registration.

See more:

You can find out about other rules and regulations from the Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club (ADAC) (German Automobile Club) or the Au- tomobilclub Europa (ACE) (European Automobile Club) or receive help and assistance as a member in various areas