You can find childminders who will look after your child individually at your home or their home through an advert in the paper or the youth welfare office. The best way to find babysitters, who only look after your children for a few hours during the day or in the evening, is through col- leagues or neighbours. Local churches usually run playgroups and nurser- ies where you can meet other parents with your little one(s). In many towns and cities there are also foreign-language playgroups.

In general, places for short periods (up to six months) are often hard to come by. Your International Office will give you more help with this or suggest you use the Family Service. The service can help to find childcare facilities. The Max Planck Society has a contract with them so the service is free. It can help to find the best solution for your family circumstances.

See more: