Here is a list of nouns with different endings. Can you identify their gender and enter the nouns with the definite article in the table below? The first one has been done for you.
Frühling, König, Universität, Exil, Mädchen, Fabrik, Pfennig, Tischlein, Ewigkeit, Museum, Freiheit, Religion, Reise, Humanismus, Video, Schwächling, Motor, Thema, Zyklus, Tortur, Rechnung, Element, Eleganz, Honig, Diamant, Büro, Bedeutung, Instrument, Konsonant, Auto.
Now write out the endings from Exercise 1.1. that are typical for masculine, feminine and neuter nouns.
Each of the following lines contains one noun that does not share its gender with those next to it. Indicate the odd one out and note the gender for all other nouns at the beginning of each line:
______ Wein, Jaguar, April, Bier, Samstag, Euro, Norden →
masculine Wein, Jaguar, April, Bier, Samstag, Euro, Norden
1. Frau, Billion, Themse, Katze, Ingenieurin, Rhein
2. Iran, Labor, Motor, Rhein, Winter, Pfennig, Nissan
3. Essen, Baby, Silber, Ritz, Marketing, Schweiz, Lamm
4. Katze, Milliarde, Tochter, Mädchen, Harley-Davidson
5. Sommer, Wasser, Dienstag, Tee, September, Dollar
Translate the following sentences into German.
1. The Mercedes is very fast.
2. What does the car cost?
3. The newspaper costs 1 Euro.
4. Here is the mother but where is the girl?
5. When does the meeting begin?
6. Here is the tea without milk.
7. The water comes from France.
8. The computer game was interesting.
9. Do you know Mr Schmidt? (Use the Sie form.)
10. Ladies and gentlemen!